There are various phases for developing a mobile application. One of the most important phase is the Discovery Phase. This Phase gives us an insight of the business goals, objectives for marketing, list of all the features, deciding on targeting the user base and also helps us to know how viable the app is from the perspective of the business.
What does Discovery Phase mean?
Discovery Phase is all about preparing a detailed blueprint after researching and analysing a little. This blueprint informs the developers about the entire project to be undertaken. Discovery if done accurately can reduce the chance of facing an obstacles or improper solution during the developing phase. It gives you a detailed idea of all the users, their needs, demands. This phases also lays focus on all the prerequisites that are needed for the designing the application. It helps in preparing a proper schedule for the app and also aids in estimating the overall cost. Discovery Phase gives you clarity on certain aspects before developing an app like identifying your unique selling proposition, defining the monetization strategy, understanding your expectations of daily visitors and monthly revenue.
Discovery Phase is conducted in different steps which are as follows
- It starts with analysing the concept and the idea of designing an app followed by checking on the feasibility of business and its technicalities.
- Second step is all about studying, analysing and defining the target market and audiences whom you wish to target for your application.
- Third Steps focuses on finalising the vision of the project and determining its features along with prioritising it as per the needs.
- Fourth step includes designing a visual layout of the business application idea. In this accurate detailing are mentioned for each layout along with the users experiences.
- Fifth Step focuses on the visualization of the final product with the help of various graphic designs.
- Sixth Step briefs about all the technological requirements and technical architecture for the application.
Discovery Phase if conducted sincerely and accurately proves to be extremely beneficial. Some of its benefits are as follows:
- Discovery Phase is all about understanding the market and also the users precisely. This will give you insights on the reasons based on which the users will be accessing your website or the applications. Considering this you can accordingly plan on all the measure to be taken for providing the best user experience.
- When you start with designing the site and application, you have bunch of ideas pertaining to the features and concept. Discovery Phase lets you bifurcate and choose only those features which are important and has to be included in the MVP.
- There are various mock up tools available using which you can get the screen by screen designs. This can be used as an example for presenting it to your investors.
- This phase briefs you about the competition in the market and also enlightens you with those areas where your ideas might dim in front of your competitor’s ideas. In that case, this phase also emphasizes on studying competitors to understand how they market and how you stand out to be unique in the crowd.
- With the help of Wireframing, this phase aids you in defining the requirements in detail. Based on this information, expectations related to the development time and the cost can be estimated by the development team so as to come out with an average budget of developing site and application.