Software Development is a long process and involves many people who altogether complete the entire process successfully. Software Development Process comprises of Team of Senior Developer. Architect, Team Lead, Technical Lead and Engineering Manager.
These are just a few of the team member; the actual list is quite long. Technical Lead is said to play an important role.
Technical Lead as the name states is solely responsible for leading a development team. The task of Technical Leader is not easy. They have to lead a team. Technical Lead is the one who actually creates a technical vision in order to turn it into reality with the help of the team.
Technical Lead at times also has to take up the role of Architect Software, Team Lead or Software Engineer Manager. Along with all this Technical Lead also have to maintain the relation with everyone on
Technical Lead Job Description
Technical Lead has got a big circle of responsibilities which is basically divided into two categories as stated below:
► Project Responsibility:
- Take up the responsibility of the entire Project.
- Carefully analyse the project and rectify the errors found in the process.
- Undergoing the process of analysis in order to fulfil the requirement of system wide.
- Developing the detailed design structure after understanding the requirements and the design.
- Implementing the best practices and coding standards of the project.
- Keep on asking for the reviews and feedback from the peers.
- Reporting for all the weekly tasks in form of accurate and detailed reports.
- To keep a check on the whole system, conduct the testing and integration testing for the entire system.
- Working on identifying the project risk and planning mitigation action with the PM at project level.
- Lead should be proactive while reacting to the surprises and should have written explanation for the same.
- Lead also has to assist and guide the Project Lead/PM/BA in project coordination.
- To ensure that Team is working as per the listed procedures, Lead should conduct FIR- Process check master.
- Lead should also work on constantly increasing the productivity of the team and reducing the waste on the other end.
- Tech Lead should inspire all the other team members, a Lead who is looked upon by all the members.
► General Responsibilities:
- Technical Lead should be flexible enough and be adaptable to the changing and varied work settings.
- Should carefully analyse the details of all the work.
- Lead will be the interface between the team and the management.
- Its important to be firm but equally fair too. Admitting your mistakes is also equally important.
- In order to lead the team successfully it is important to set targets and expectations for the team.
- Should have enough knowledge about the designing too in order to involve with the designing team.
- Abide by all the project and company guidelines and standards and to ensure that even the team members are doing so.
- Fulfilling all the commitments by timely delivering the deliverables.
- Maintaining the account of time and also reporting regularly of own work.
- Ensure fair tasks assignments where people are assigned with the task as per their skills and personal preferences.
- Constantly motivate and encourage team to give their best, especially during the time when they are pressurized with high targets.
- Make yourself completely aware with all the technologies thoroughly especially the ones associated with software or application which is under construction.
- Share the success and failures with the team.
How much does a Technical Leader make (Salary)?
The Technical Leader post holds a lot of responsibilities. Companies have well recognized the importance of Technical Lead in a company. This recognition reflects in the amount of salary the companies are ready to pay to the Technical Lead.
The salary is based on the experience of the Lead. The salary based on experience from less than 1 year up to 30 years ranges from ₹7.6 lakhs to ₹24 Lakhs. The average salary paid is ₹14 Lakhs.The range of salary differs from company to company. Here are the five top-paying companies of the year 2021.
Range: ₹9.5L – ₹21L
♦ Tech Mahindra:
Range: ₹9.1L – ₹20L
Range: ₹7.7L – ₹18.7L
Range: ₹8L – ₹18L
Range: ₹6.2L – ₹15.6L
The position of Technical Lead has become very essential in any company. The demand for Technical Leaders is increasing these days. Are you considering becoming a Technical Lead? Here’s how you can become one.
Any company looks for mainly four qualifications while hiring a Technical Lead.
How To Become A Technical Leader?
► Bachelor’s Degree
According to an assignment helper from CWAssignments, the very basic requirement is to obtain a Bachelor’s degree in the relevant degree. You can pursue any relevant fields like Computer Science, Software Development, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, etc. During your course, try to focus on gaining skills that are essential for the post of Technical Lead like troubleshooting.
► Relevant Certifications
There is a lot of competition when it comes to obtaining a job in this field. You need to make sure that your application stands out from other candidates. For that, you should try to further obtain certification in this field. However, this is not a compulsory requirement it can put you on the top.
You can obtain a certification in leadership programs like PMP (Project Management Professional) certification. Apart from this, you can also select the IT Project Management certification which includes Agile methodologies.
► Essential Skills
You need to develop certain skills that are absolutely essential for the job. First and foremost you should have high-level technical skills. Along with it, you should also have leadership, communication, and other interpersonal skills.
► Practical Experience
When it comes to a job knowledge and experience go hand in hand. Much weight is laid on practical experience. Try to gain as much practical exposure as possible. You can intern during your degree and certification under a Technical Lead and learn by observing him closely and taking active participation. You can also gain exposure by working as a trainee just after your degree. The recruiters appreciate it quite a lot.
Tips to Become a Good Technical Lead
- Become a mentor, not a boss.
- Try to develop positivism and optimism in your team.
- Delegate work after careful assessment.
- Know when to be lenient and when to be strict.
- Provide your team with opportunities rather than restricting them to the same monotonous tasks.
- Promote innovation and Technical excellence.
Tech Lead Vs. Team Lead: The Difference And Why It Matters
These two terms may seem very similar but in fact, are very different. The roles and responsibilities of a Tech Lead and Team Lead vary from each other. We have differentiated both of the roles for you.
A Team Lead plays the role of managing the team and leading them as the name suggests. The team Lead holds the responsibility of the whole team and represents them. Lead is the face of the team in good as well as bad times.
The lead acts as the mentor and guides their team all along the way but sometimes needs to be a taskmaster too. This post is mainly managerial and does not require any technical knowledge or skills. The Team Lead is required to motivate the team and help them in achieving the company goals as well as personal goals as an employee.
The Tech Lead is mainly responsible for managing the technical tasks and teams of the company. Tech Lead has to focus on the technical architecture of the company and mentor and help the team when any technical challenges come up. Lead has to lay out a plan to achieve the technical tasks and goals of the company.
It is a huge issue when companies combine the two. It matters to choose the right Lead according to the requirement of the company. A Team Lead does not possess technical knowledge and skills and hence cannot be placed in the shoes of the Tech Lead.
Similarly, the Tech Lead is only specialized in matters relating to technology. So if any general challenge comes up then the Tech lead can face difficult to face it as he is not trained for that or aware of it.
So, the difference between the both really matters and cannot be assumed to be one.
If you need to know anything else about Technical Lead then reach out to us for Q&A and we’ll surely respond!