Software Development is a long process and involves many people who altogether complete the entire process successfully. Software Development Process comprises of Team of Senior Developer. Architect, Team Lead, Technical Lead and Engineering Manager. These are just a few of the team member; the actual list is quite long. Technical Lead is said to play an important role.
Technical Lead as the name states is solely responsible for leading a development team. The task of Technical Leader is not easy. They have to lead a team. Technical Lead is the one who actually creates a technical vision in order to turn it into reality with the help of the team. Technical Lead at times also has to take up the role of Architect Software, Team Lead or Software Engineer Manager. Along with all this Technical Lead also have to maintain the relation with everyone on board.
How To Become A Technical Leader?
The path of a technical leader position usually comes from being an entry-level professional as you’ll need to understand the roles and responsibilities of individual professionals before being able to manage them. In the United States, the average salary for a technical lead in software development is estimated to be USD$113,776 annually.
If you’re aspiring for a technical lead position, here’s a short guide on how to become one:
- Obtain a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, or any related field. From your education, you’ll learn various concepts and skills involving troubleshooting, technical support, and the like.
- Earn the PMP certification. To demonstrate your leadership skills in a tech- concentrated field, you can pursue a certification, like the Project Management Professional (PMP) certification offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI), which is regarded as a leading certification in the project management discipline.
- Gain professional experience in the IT field. You can start your first job as a programmer, software developer, or software engineer, among others, before upskilling as a technical lead. During this time, you’ll learn essential skills to become a technical lead, such as communication skills, technical skills, and, most importantly, leadership skills.
Depending on a technical lead’s line of work, their main responsibility will differ. For instance, if the business focuses on providing cloud infrastructure solutions, like software as a service (SaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), or infrastructure as a service (IaaS), they’ll lead the deployment, management, and support of these services.
Technical Lead has got a big circle of responsibilities which is basically divided into two categories as stated below:
- Take up the responsibility of the entire Project.
- Carefully analyse the project and rectify the errors found in the process.
- Undergoing the process of analysis in order to fulfil the requirement of system wide.
- Developing the detailed design structure after understanding the requirements and the design.
- Implementing the best practices and coding standards of the project.
- Keep on asking for the reviews and feedback from the peers.
- Reporting for all the weekly tasks in form of accurate and detailed reports.
- To keep a check on the whole system, conduct the testing and integration testing for the entire system.
- Working on identifying the project risk and planning mitigation action with the PM at project level.
- Lead should be proactive while reacting to the surprises and should have written explanation for the same.
- Lead also has to assist and guide the Project Lead/PM/BA in project coordination.
- To ensure that Team is working as per the listed procedures, Lead should conduct FIR- Process check master.
- Lead should also work on constantly increasing the productivity of the team and reducing the waste on the other end.
- Tech Lead should inspire all the other team members, a Lead who is looked upon by all the members.
- Technical Lead should be flexible enough and be adaptable to the changing and varied work settings.
- Should carefully analyse the details of all the work.
- Lead will be the interface between the team and the management.
- Its important to be firm but equally fair too. Admitting your mistakes is also equally important.
- In order to lead the team successfully it is important to set targets and expectations for the team.
- Should have enough knowledge about the designing too in order to involve with the designing team.
- Abide by all the project and company guidelines and standards and to ensure that even the team members are doing so.
- Fulfilling all the commitments by timely delivering the deliverables.
- Maintaining the account of time and also reporting regularly of own work.
- Ensure fair tasks assignments where people are assigned with the task as per their skills and personal preferences.
- Constantly motivate and encourage team to give their best, especially during the time when they are pressurised with high targets.
- Make yourself completely aware with all the technologies thoroughly especially the ones associated with software or application which is under construction.
- Share the success and failures with the team.