Your resume’s ‘Key skills’ section quickly informs the employer or recruiter about your area of expertise and how it might help with the job requirement. Here’s a quick primer on key writing skills.
This section should come before listing all of your work experience. After reading your list of key skills, an employer will decide whether or not to continue reading your resume. Basically, this section provides a thorough overview of your knowledge and expertise. Keep in mind that your resume serves as a marketing tool! When purchasing a computer, the first thing you would look for is the model’s configuration: Processor speed, RAM capacity, hard disc space, monitor size, and so on. You examine the configuration because it indicates what that particular brand of computer can do for you.
Similarly, the key skills section in your resume discusses your basic configuration. Working on your resume requires your free time and deep focus, so if you have any assignments coming up, you can hire an expert helper. I also asked professionals to do my math homework for me and that is why I have the job that I love now. This post, in particular, discusses the subject. In this post, we will talk about Software developer skills for freshers. If you’re looking for a job as a software developer, keep reading.
Let us first have a look at what a software developer does:
What exactly does a software developer do?
Software developers mainly analyze the needs of users before designing and developing software to meet those needs. Recommend software upgrades for existing customers’ programs and systems. Create a design for each component of an application or system, as well as a plan for how the components will interact. In a nutshell, Software developers put software solutions into action by creating programs, applications, and websites.
Systems developers, web developers, mobile developers, and test automation developers are the four main types of software developers. When they first enter the profession as freshers, they need to be specialized in one of these areas.
With experience, a junior software developer is likely to advance to a senior software developer and then to a software architect or something similar. Other opportunities for advancement include team leader or manager.
Software Developers’ Duties/Responsibilities
The following is a list of the responsibilities of software developers:
- Discussing requirements of clients and proposed solutions with the senior developer
- Code creation and testing
- Working with other developers
- Making use of development tools
- Complete the entire software development life cycle (SDLC)
- To identify requirements and solutions, create flowcharts, layouts, and documentation.
- Create well-thought-out, testable code
- Create specifications and assess operational feasibility
- Combine software components to create a fully functional software system
- Create software verification plans and procedures for quality assurance
- Maintain and document software functionality
- Troubleshoot, debug, and upgrade existing systems
- Deploy programs as well as evaluate user feedback
- Adhere to project plans and industry standards
- Ensure software is up to date with the latest features
Development Tools Used by Software Developers
As previously stated, software developers write and test code. For that, they need to use some development tools, which include:
- For version control and code repository (ex: Git) – Any programmer or software developer must be familiar with a source control repository because they must check-in and check out code on a daily basis.
- For database interaction (ex: SQL or Structured Query Language) – This is yet another essential component of software programming. SQL is one such tool or programming language that every programmer should be familiar with. SQL stands for Standard Query Language, and it is used to interact with databases. SQL allows you to read, update, and delete data from tables.
- For Coding and Programming (ex: Python) – Python is one of the essential tools for software developers. It is a powerful high-level, object-oriented programming language that can be used to build large applications.
- For IDE or Integrated Development Environments (ex: Eclipse, IntelliJ) – these tools include everything you need to write and edit code.
There are many other tools that software developers used in the process.
Educational Requirements for Software Developers
Bachelor’s degrees in computer science or software engineering are required for the majority of computer software development jobs. These programs have rigorous math requirements, including a calculus sequence, differential equations, and linear algebra. A physics sequence is also required. These requirements are typically completed during the first two years of a program.
However, when it comes to software development – Both graduates and school leavers can pursue careers in software development. Degrees in computer science, software development, or a related field are typically preferred for graduate positions. However, a few employers do not require a degree and are willing to train you if you showcase exuberance and the ability to learn the necessary skills.
Software development apprenticeships are publicized, so it is possible to enter this career path without a degree. These programs teach students how to build, analyze, and maintain software through lectures and laboratory sessions. Computer programming, operating systems, and networks are among the topics covered in the programs.
Now let’s see what the software developers’ skills are for freshers. Here we go…
Software Developers Skills for Freshers
- Mathematics aptitude
- Problem-solving abilities
- Programming Languages for programming (different types of developer roles require different languages, but some common ones include: Java, HTML/DHTML, XML, XSL, PL/SQL, C, ProC, ASP, C#, Visual Basic, PHP
- Outstanding organizational and time-management abilities
- Precision and attention to detail
- An understanding of current trends and their role in a commercial setting
- Teamwork abilities
- Coding abilities – in any language with which you are comfortable
- C, JAVA, Python, and other programming languages
- Communication ability is also the most important trait, as client interaction cannot be overlooked in any business
- Confidence and attitude define your choice more than learning and knowledge
- Hunger for new skills is something that almost every company wants
- Finally, self-improvement abilities – required to keep up with rapidly changing trends
Sectors/Industries Requiring Software Developers
Many software engineers and software developers have a dream employer in mind, but the majority are simply looking for a good job that pays well. The good news is that there is a huge demand of software developers in different industries or sectors. Such as:
- Technology consultancies
- Financial services sector
- Telecommunications sector
- Software development companies
- Public sector organizations
- Healthcare services
- Research and development
- Business and IT services
- Government sector
- Defense, and so on
Main companies hiring software developers include:
- Siemens Ltd
- Microsoft, and so on
You can find a job on online platforms or through recruitment agencies or consultancy services.
That concludes our discussion of software developer skills for freshers. Here are a few things you should avoid when writing your key skills in your resume. Take a look…
1. Avoid stuffing the section with keywords.
2. Avoid repeating a keyword or listing two skills that mean the same thing as examples.
3. Avoid making your key skills section too long. The best is to decide the optimal length and craft your resume accordingly.
4. Avoid adding any skill that you don’t possess. Doing so will create a negative impact on your employer, as gradually, they’ll know whether you possess the skill or not.
And if you’re at a junior level with some experience, make sure you back your skills by work experience. It means, if you have added a skill to your resume, you should back it up with relevant information from your work experience. For instance, if you listed ‘SQL Server’ as one of your key skills, your work experience should detail what you did in your job that required SQL server expertise.
Wrapping it up…
So these are the fundamental software developer skills for freshers. Hopefully, this post has helped you understand the basic requirements for applying for a software developer role as a fresher.
Aside from these, the most important requirement is that you be POSITIVE and MOTIVATED!! Enjoy!!